Submit for The Lord’s Sake
I’m guessing that submission isn’t one of your favourite topics to delve into. The application is always humbling, but the results can be amazing. Consider, for example, what Jesus accomplished through submission to others. God wants to do great things through us as we submit as well.
This message looks at 1 Peter 2:13-17 and challenged to think strategically about submitting to public leaders. Given the current political climate, this may cause you to be a little nervous; however, God’s plan is to use our submission to underscore the truth and power of the gospel. We’re not here to tear leaders down or undermine the peace they’re called to maintain. We’re here to give witness to how God has changed us through a relationship with Jesus Christ. I hope you’ll be a bit more eager to submit, knowing that your humble actions fit a bigger plan.
Submit for the Lord’s Sake
1 Peter 2:13-17
July 22, 2018
When I submit I...
• declare God is the ultimate authority over everyone (v. 13)
• acknowledge the wisdom inherent in structured authority (v. 14)
• silence the critics of believers’ public conduct (v. 15)
• put my civil freedom to good use (v. 16)
• keep focused on my spiritual priorities (v. 17)